[extropy-chat] Why Australians will never be prosperous

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sun Jul 10 06:19:08 UTC 2005

Thanks for these two links.  I really enjoyed the transcript.  If
first met Steve and Steve when they were a couple of semi-hippie
tecnology freaks like many of the people I was hanging with at the
itme.  They were toting this homebrew computer in a wood box.  At the
time I was having a lot of trouble telling the real visionaries from
the just plained obsessed but not going anywhere folks.  So I went to
back to school instead of attempting to join the fledgling company.
I don't remember if they were even talking about a company then.  But
they were really passionate.

I see stuff about love - loving what you are doing and passion which
I guess is a type of hunger sort of.  That I know is very real and
critical.  In hiring situations I always pass on people that have no
passion.  The passion doesn't have to even be in what they are being
interviewed for.   But without that spark that sometimes bursts into
huge creativity  something great  is much less likely to come from
the  team.   Those wonderful periods of passionate creative fire are
one of the yummiest and most desirable things in life.  But yeah, he
does end with the catchy "Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish".

I could kick myself for the times I have "settled" in my career.  I
won't do that any more.

He gets more than a little deathist in many places.  Yes, death and
its [until now] relatively quick inevitability can be used in
advantages ways; most anything can be with a bit of skill.  But this
hardly makes death something wonderful or "the best invention of
Life".   We can do much better.   We can renew ourselves without it.
I am sick of hearing excuses and apologetics for death.

- samantha