[extropy-chat] Many eyes

Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net
Mon Jul 11 01:03:21 UTC 2005

Joseph Bloch wrote:

> David Brin, who has written on the subject of the changing
> (disappearing) notion of privacy, covered this explicitly in his novel
> "Earth".
>
> He posits a future in which private surveilance (by cameras embedded
> in sunglasses, which transmit in realtime to secure data archives)
> causes a drastic drop in violent crime. If every potential mugging
> victim is recording everything he sees, muggers become a lot less
> numerous.
>
> The classic response to questions of "what happened to my right to
> privacy?" in Brin's world, is "What do you have to hide?"

I discussed "The Transparent society" with Brin at the Foresight fellows
conference in 1998, the year it was published.  I'm even enough of a
fanboy that I got him to autograph my copy :-)

My proposal here is that we should put Brin's theory/observation into
practice. We can do this without any new infrastructure. A large enough
percentage of the population is now carrying cameras: we just need to
use them.