[extropy-chat] Many eyes

Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net
Mon Jul 11 02:35:57 UTC 2005

Matthew Welch wrote:

>I'd be happier not having to worry about taking photos of my boring
>life even if I might one day brush shoulders with a bomber.

This is your option. You do not need to participate. If a small
percentage of the population participates, then we win. As I recall.
there are about 100 Londoners in each carriage in the London Underground
during rush hour. Assume that 2 percent of these people choose to
participate. Then we have on average two cameras per carriage. Assume
that participation jumps to 20% after an event occurs: we have 20
cameras per carriage.

If no event occurs, assume that participation in analysis is zero: every
day, the commuters simply purge their pictures. If an event occurs, I
think that essentially all of the pictures will be made available, and
all of the picture-takers. plus a very large number of volunteer
analysts, will look at the pictures.