[extropy-chat] Death Toll

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 12 18:51:24 UTC 2005

--- Dan Clemmensen <dgc at cox.net> wrote:

> The loss of 50 lives in London is horrible.
>
> In today's news, insurgents killed at least 20 Iraqis. Yesterday, 20
> Iraqis were killed by insurgents. So far this year, on average, at
> least
> 50 Iraqis per week have been killed by insurgents, and some number of
> insurgents and/or Iraqi non-combatants have been killed by American
> and/or Alliance troops.
>
> Why are we more upset by the loss of lives in London than by the loss
> of lives in Iraq?

Because we don't believe in collective guilt or moral equivilancy. Iraq
is a low intensity civil war between a Baathist insurgency and the rest
of the nation. Britain was believed to be attacked by a group of
non-Iraqi jihadists who are also killing most of the Iraqis in Iraq,
though this is questionable.

It is interesting it comes so soon after the electoral victory of the
extremist in Iran, and that Britains purview in Iraq is the Shiite
southeastern quarter of Iraq, that is under heavy infiltration from
Iranian forces. The only people that would gain from a British pullout
from Iraq would be Iran and extremist Shiite Iraqi groups that are
backed by Iran.

I suspect we will see a heavy uptick in extremist shiite activity,
possibly a coup attempt by al Sadr in Bagdad.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com