[extropy-chat] overposting and fuel cell bike

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 13 17:58:21 UTC 2005

There is a design for a device that produces hydrogen by using a low
current to oxidize aluminum wire in water, producing hydrogen. The
amount of energy required is significantly less than electrolysis. The
energy consumed in refining the aluminum is generally power plant
energy, ergo most efficiently generated, and the smelter generally buys
it at a cost far below anybody else, because the smelter uses so much
of it. Recycling the spent aluminum oxide is as simple as collecting it
and shipping it back to the smelter, who will enjoy it as it takes less
energy to refine this material than raw bauxite.

For this reason, I believe that this is an excellent means of supplying
hydrogen to remote areas.

This being said, there is another way to get hydrogen: from natural gas
lines. Piped natural gas contains anywhere from 5% up to 40% free H2
molecules. Given the significantly different molecular weight of H2 vs
natural gas, CH4 (2 vs 16) and the very different boiling points (-252
vs -164) it should be possible to either distill or centrifuge natural
gas to separate these two quite easily.

There are also reformers on the market that can be used to convert
common hydrocarbons to hydrogen. Some fuel cell car designs have
featured built in reformers. IMHO owning the only fuel reformer in your
neighborhood will be a big money maker in the coming years.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/techinnovations/2005-06-14-hydro-cycle-usa
> > t_x.htm
> >
> > spike

> --