[extropy-chat] Re: Authenticity, extropy, libertarianism, and history

Erik Starck es at popido.com
Thu Jul 14 14:59:04 UTC 2005

I believe firmly in minimal state intervention in peoples lifes, but I suggest a reading of Hernando de Sotos "The Mystery of Capital" if you think that complete anarchy is the way to go. At the very least we need property laws, which in turn implies a police and a court. Don't know what that makes me.

More interesting to discuss is perhaps the role of the national state in an ever more globalised world. In "One World", Peter Singer puts forth the following:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0300103050/ref=sib_dp_bod_toc/104-5818349-0666300?%5Fencoding=UTF8&p=S007#reader-link
"One Atmosphere. One Economy. One Law. One Community."

Given this view of the world, do we really need the national states?

If we don't, then what should be in their place?

My personal belief is that the local community will become much stronger as the state grows weaker. The urban city may become the most important political unit in the not to distant future. Regions, clusters, city states. That's what will take the national states' place on the smaller scale.

Question then is, what about the rest of the world? What about the bigger picture? Will we ever get a truly global democracy consisting of thousands of regions? Any thoughts?

BR Erik