[extropy-chat] Re: Webcast: 1st Annual Workshop on Geoethical Nanotechnology

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Fri Jul 15 00:13:43 UTC 2005

>True, but you still need to be aware of potential and likely reactions
>to your message.  In this case, the fear is that you may, to be blunt,
>be walking into a trap, for instance that someone will try to set up
>the
>audience and context to poison audiences against your message.  The
>"most" is a statement of the likelihood of this type of scenario -
>i.e.,
>it implies that this may be likely enough to specifically watch out for
>and be prepared to react to.  But you are correct, this should not
>derail you.

I happen to know the webcaster and she is a very close friend of mine and
someone who is on this list. So, I don't think there is anything to be
watch out for.

>...come to think of it, this could be seen as an instance of the
>Proactionary Principle in action.  As you noted, the costs of doing
>nothing are too great.  Proceeding with caution (where there is an
>identified, but hard to quantify, risk) is still proceeding, as opposed
>to stopping to study the problem until it can be proven safe.  :)
>
> > Did you go to the website of the webcast?
> > http://www.terasemfoundation.org/workshop.htm
>
>I did.  I'm still not entirely certain they're not just having you
>there
>as "a representative of the enemy".  We'll see how things come out.
>
> > I wish you and others would
> > frequent
> > the announcements and read the Exponent newsletter to keep up with
> > the
> > proactive efforts of ExI and its Board.
>
>I do.  That was part of why this misperception came as such a shock.

Thanks for all you comments,

Best,
Natasha

<http://www.natasha.cc/>Natasha <http://www.natasha.cc/>Vita-More
Cultural Strategist, Designer
Studies of the Future, University of Houston
President, <http://www.extropy.org/>Extropy Institute
Founder, <http://www.transhumanist.biz/>Transhumanist Arts & Culture

Knowledge is the most democratic source of power.  Alvin Toffler
Random acts of kindness... Anne Herbet