[extropy-chat] Dark matter and ET

Robin Hanson rhanson at gmu.edu
Fri Jul 15 01:11:05 UTC 2005

At 08:59 PM 7/14/2005, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:
>>It is a subtle question what exactly the goals of alien civilizations
>>would be,
>>and different goals lead to different computational priorities.
>
>I don't see why different computational priorities should affect the
>material prediction, valid for an extremely wide range of goal systems:
>that superintelligences should convert available matter into
>configurations more useful than stars, which generate massive amounts of
>entropy without performing any computations...

Robert Bradbury assumed that each alien civilization had a fixed chunk of
matter and repository of free energy, and wanted to extract as many CPU
cycles out of those, no matter how long this took, and were not very
interested in exchanging I/O with other civilizations.  These assumptions
lead to very different optimal computation configurations than, for
example, a rapidly expanding civilization that only cared about computation
in order to support that expansion.  Such an expanding civilization would
be much less patient, would want lots of I/O regarding colonization
targets, and would want the computation to be located near in space and
time to those efforts.

Associate Professor of Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323