[extropy-chat] Dark matter and ET

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Fri Jul 15 02:36:43 UTC 2005

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:

> I suppose simple discount rates might then have an effect on the
> expected brightness of galaxies, even though other aspects of the
> utility function are irrelevant!  In that sense, I accept the correction.

Maybe that's the real explanation for the different apparent magnitudes of
"stars" and "galaxies"; they represent, not different stellar processes, but
simply intelligent information-processing centers with different discount
rates in their expected utility functions.  Perhaps future astronomers will
utilize a scale of shortsightedness in place of the present system of stellar
magnitudes.

(CCHI)