[extropy-chat] (no subject)

matus at matus1976.com matus at matus1976.com
Wed Jul 20 14:31:34 UTC 2005

Way to go guys, scare off another potential extropian.  Because there are certainly too many of them.

David, do not come to think that the abrasiveness of Eliezer, Damien and others is the prevalent attitude on this list (though its certainly present) think more of Amara or Mike Lorreys responses.  Basically, the abrasives think the things you believe are hogwash (as do I) and couldnt be bothered to even give a moment of time to try to explain, calmly and rationally, to you, why they are.  That's fine, I am way to busy to post frequently but I do fervently read nearly every post and still find this one of the most intellectually stimulating forums.  But they dont stop there, instead these abrasive types prefer to re affirm their own intellectual superiority by spotlighting how intellectual inferior they feel you are.  If that were not the case, they would just filter you out, or ignore your posts.

To Extropes, If he becomes a troll then ban him.  It seems reasonable to think he is not.  Clearly something brought David Stiger to this forum, instead of harassing and chastising him for beliefs that are wrong, we should welcome him and attempt to explain calmly why those beliefs are probably mistaken, and find value in the common ground that brought him here.  Thank you Amara and Mike for attempting it.  Shame on Damien and Eliezer for being reprehensible jerks.

David, I highly recommend reading Carl Sagan's book, 'Science as a candle in the dark', or Michael Shermer's Book 'Why people believe wierd things'  They might give you the intellectual foundation for understanding why these grand conspiracy theories are wrong.

Matus