[extropy-chat] Gay marriage in Spain, a world of change

Harvey Newstrom mail at harveynewstrom.com
Thu Jul 21 02:29:54 UTC 2005

On Jul 20, 2005, at 5:07 PM, Mike Lorrey wrote:

> as I've stated multiple times in the past:
> there is only ONE THING that gays will gain with marriage licensing
> that they can't replicate with regular contract law, and that is the
> heritability of social security benefits.

And Medicare.
And joint tax returns.
And not being taxed on benefits employers might give to a partner (such
that gay workers pay more taxes than a non-gay worker in the same job
at the same pay with the same benefits).
And adoption of their partner's children.
And coverage on partner's medical insurance.
And buying life insurance for a partner (since most insurance companies
claim there is no insurable interest in the partner).
And buying joint insurance for medical, homes, autos, etc. (since most
insurance companies claim there is no insurable interest in the
partner's property).
And citizenship for their partner.
And making medical decisions for an incapacitated partner.
And making funeral arrangements for a deceased partner.
And seeking wrongful death compensation for a killed partner.
And inheriting their partner's property without a will.
And not paying hefty gift taxes when inheriting their partner's
property with a will.
And giving their partner equal ownership in joint property.
And taking leave for a sick or deceased partner.
And renting cars together at the same price heterosexual married
couples can rent the same car.
And having partners not forced to testify against one in a court of law
(spousal privilege).

And over a thousand other things that just can't be contracted between
a gay couple....

--
Harvey Newstrom <HarveyNewstrom.com>
CISSP CISA CISM CIFI NSA-IAM GSEC ISSAP ISSMP ISSPCS IBMCP