[extropy-chat] Gay marriage in Spain, a world of change

Robert Lindauer robgobblin at aol.com
Sat Jul 23 02:18:23 UTC 2005

Robert Lindauer wrote:

> Being a member of an S-Corp requires some financial resources and
> business smarts that -most people who just want to get married- don't
> necessarily have.  Is it fair that only business-savvy people are
> allowed to have marriage-relationships?  Are marriage relationships
> really -only- financial arrangements?  How sad.
>
> As long as we're social engineering, we have to look out for who we're
> social-engineering - who benefits from our social engineering
> project.  The world where only wealthy well-educated people can enjoy
> the benefits of marriage is a sad one indeed.

Let me make that into a question.

If we wish to make marriage into a purely legal and financial affair
akin to a partnership, should we simultaneously lower the bar
sufficiently to make entering into a limited liability partnership as
easy as getting married.

If we did such a thing, wouldn't it make the whole LLP/LLC construct
nearly worthless?  Also imagine the legal mess it would create - as if
divorce and business litigation weren't complicated enough - imagine if
it was grounds for dissolving an LLC that your partner was sleeping with
someone else!

Robbie Lindauer