[extropy-chat] Gay marriage in Spain, a world of change

Robbie Lindauer robgobblin at aol.com
Sat Jul 23 08:29:55 UTC 2005

On Jul 22, 2005, at 5:35 PM, Mike Lorrey wrote:

>> Let me make that into a question.
>>
>> If we wish to make marriage into a purely legal and financial affair
>> akin to a partnership, should we simultaneously lower the bar
>> sufficiently to make entering into a limited liability partnership as
>> easy as getting married.
>>

> I don't know what you are talking about. I've set up S corps with very
> little paperwork or assets.

You're a smart cookie.  I suggest a tour of south central or east los
angeles bordelos to give a sense of the kind of people who often just
get married because they want to.  I suspect you qualify because you:

1)  Can read and write.
2)  Finished high school.
3)  Finished college.
4)  Read books for pleasure and education.
5)  Can tell when you're being conned.
6)  Have more than 100 of disposable money right now.

Many, many, many married people (even happily married people) don't
qualify under any of these.    Marriage is just something different
than "entering into a business arrangement".

> Depending on your state, the filing fees
> can be less than $100. I've also set up partnerships, and co-operative
> corporations. It doesn't take business savvy or special training or a
> lot of money.

It takes a certain amount of business savvy and money to enter into a
corporate agreement and even more (of both) to enforce one and relative
to the actual bar of education in our new-deal learn-to-work educated
society it's a bar that's slightly too high - remember we're dealing
with people who read the McDonald's "healthy choices" brochure and are
convinced that eating at McDonalds is healthy.  (I'm not claiming this
is the average american, but it is certainly a large public segment.)

> There are companies you can find online to set up a
> Delaware or Nevada partnership, LLC, Corporation, etc electronically
> with no muss or fuss, you just fill out the simple forms online, no
> blood tests or oaths before a justice of the peace.

Yes, you can if you're a smart cookie.  You're a fool to form such a
partnership without a good lawyer's advice if you have potentially
adversarial partners.  For anything more complicated than sharing
profits on a lemonade stand, this isn't a great idea.  But I suspect
you know this.  Perhaps you're being facetious?

>> If we did such a thing, wouldn't it make the whole LLP/LLC construct
>> nearly worthless?  Also imagine the legal mess it would create - as
>> if divorce and business litigation weren't complicated enough -
>> imagine if it was grounds for dissolving an LLC that your partner
>> was sleeping with someone else!
>
> Adultery isn't grounds for divorce in a number of states already,
> however from a financial standpoint, a divorce is really not
> significantly different than dissolving a Partnership. If you make
> sexual fidelity to your partner a condition of your partnership
> agreement (not that much different from a monk agreeing to chastity,
> silence, etc to be a partner in the monastic community), then it is
> merely one clause in a contract that must be enforced by the parties
> involved.

Divorce law has a rich tradition of its own separate from partnership
and corporate law and that the merging of the two would be a
legislative and judicial nightmare, practically speaking, assuming you
wanted to keep either.  JUST the taxation and inheritance issues are
volumes and volumes different.  Why make, for instance, married people
choose between distributing or retaining profits or annually filing
separate and corporate tax returns.  Alternatively, would it be
appropriate for corporations to pay taxes like a married couple, I'm
sure that would be a tremendous benefit for them.  Have you thought
this through?  Is there an official Libertarian Party suggestion on
this matter?  Which tax law would apply to these hybrid
corporation-marriages?

I say throw the baby out with the bath-water, but if you insist on
keeping the baby, I'm insisting on keeping the bath-water.  Get rid of
the corporate law and taxation and social security and you no longer
have the felt need to legitimize homosexual marriages with official
government badges and gold stars.

> Secondly, I don't see the need to get tricky looking at liability
> limiting constructs. Liability limitation is another benefit that
> government gives you for the right to incorporate. Don't incorporate,
> partner up. Take responsibility for your actions.

There are LLP's.  Marriages are, in many ways, like LLP's, in other
ways like LLC's, in other ways like sole proprietorships, in some ways
like a slavery arrangement sometimes.  The absurd example given before
by someone else isn't so absurd.  The paperwork that would have to be
created (and therefore understood to be something other than fraud) by
the various parties would be so extensive as to make a marriage a near
impossibility.  If someone could understand the paperwork involved,
they probably simply wouldn't do it.

Remember that Corporate and Partnership laws are invented for
potentially adversarial relationships on the assumption that the
members in the partnership or corporate don't essentially have any
common interests and will, if given the chance, take whatever advantage
possible in their arrangement.

In many ways, the assumption in marriage laws are different, but in
particular the assumption in marriage law is that the parties act
effectively as a single interest.  Only when things go wrong does the
adversarial law kick in - and even then the way it kicks in is very
different.    So again, your official position on whether we should
throw out the marriage-law stuff or the corporate-law stuff?

Both!!!!

> And I want to thank Harvey for his open mindedness on all this. There
> were a few things beyond Social Security, but they generally all fall
> into the general area of social insurance (medicare/medicaid, etc)
> which I regard as illegitimate government controlled coercive
> monopolies to begin with.

Alongside the federal reserve system, I assume?  The Federal Reserve
System is the worst illegitimate government controlled coercive
monopoly next to, of course, the armed forces.  Funny how that works
out.  The same people control the money and the guns...

> Someone who wants them, IMHO, generally is
> not a pro-freedom person,

Is the official stance of the libertarian party that a 65-year-old
retiree and disabled veteran who receives their social security and
veterans disability insurance is not a pro-freedom person.

Boy, I bet that wins you a lot of votes with AARP!  Why not just
officially align yourself with the Church of Satan and the American
Nazi Party or something?

>  so I'm not too put out that they are out of
> reach of at least part of the population.

I say the same with regard to the Federal Reserve System.