[extropy-chat] Gay marriage in Spain, a world of change

Brent Neal brentn at freeshell.org
Sat Jul 23 12:18:36 UTC 2005

 (7/22/05 19:43) Harvey Newstrom <mail at harveynewstrom.com> wrote:

>Again, thanks for the thoughtful responses.  I still disagree with your
>point that prohibiting gay marriage is not discrimination, but on the
>above matter I concede you are right to reject at least half the list
>of "unobtainable" benefits that I posted.

Harvey,

I think Mike's point is not that it is "not discrimination," but rather that it doesn't matter whether or not it is because everyone should take his position against government interference in private affairs. A Machiavellian take on this would be that he hopes that the government gets MORE discriminatory so that we have more reasons to not use it and distrust it (as if we don't have plenty of reasons now!)

However, as to your list of benefits, as long as there is ONE item on that list, there is a problem in our government as far as I'm concerned.  While I'm all for limited government, I certainly don't believe right way to get there is to encourage "different amounts of government" for different types of people.  Equal opportunity, equal benefit, equal interference. :)

Brent Neal
Geek of all Trades
http://brentn.freeshell.org

"Specialization is for insects" -- Robert A. Heinlein