[extropy-chat] Gay marriage in Spain, a world of change

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Sat Jul 23 18:48:06 UTC 2005

Brent wrote:

>Given my own personal views and lifestyle choices, I would very much
>prefer to have polyamorous relationships be recognized immediately.
>However, I don't see campaigning hard for gay marriage to be campaigning
>against recognized polyamories or any other sort of "We're not with them"
>behavior.  One small step at a time.
>
>Your assertion that it is hypocritical for people to push for gay marriage
>when polyamory isn't recognized is just plain silly. This is exactly
>identical to saying that it was hypocritical for black people to launch
>their campaign for civil rights when Native Americans were still
>ghettoized on reservations. Any time one group stands up and demands
>equality it makes it that much easier for another group to do so.

In both your responses to me and to Mike, you are either misunderstanding
or ignoring the plain meaning of what we're saying.

Mike is remarking on advocates of gay marriage who, when it is said to them
that legalizing gay marriage will lead to legalizing polyamory or that they
are substantively the same issue, respond by voicing their opposition to
polyamory. I have seen that sequence play out at least two dozen times in
tv or radio discussions.

It *is* hypocritical, if forgivable.

>Wow.  So, you're "concerned about gay marriage" because you're afraid that
>without at least a replacement rate of population, we won't be able to
>maintain our society.  This is mind-bogglingly ridiculous.

Again, I did not write any of the things you are responding to. I have said
nothing at all about my personal views or concerns wrt sexuality or marriage.

That I present a position does not mean that I either agree with it or do
not. That was, in fact, a central theme of what I *was* saying -- I don't
start from the premise that people who have different concerns or
conclusions than I do are necessarily stupid, evil, or wrong. Rather, that
there are viewpoints other than my own that are worth understanding,
considering, and taking into account. And that, in most everything I
believe to be true, I may in fact be wrong. Viz., extropian principle 7 --

>Rational Thinking  Favoring reason over blind faith and questioning over
>dogma. Remaining open to challenges to our beliefs and practices in
>pursuit of perpetual improvement. Welcoming criticism of our existing
>beliefs while being open to new ideas.

-- David Lubkin.