The Future of Love. was Re: [extropy-chat] Gay marriage in Spain, a world of change, biology, last post, post, etc.

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 26 00:18:23 UTC 2005

--- Amara Graps <amara at amara.com> wrote:

> spike
> >Penis fencing?  What is that Avant?
>
> And
> Here is a movie of it...
>
> http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2458366?htv=12
>
> (I wrote)
> >The flatworm Pseudoceros bifurcus is no romantic.
> When it wants sex,
> >it simply rears up and stabs its mate with its
> penis. Because it a
> >hermaphroditic species, its mate has a penis too,
> so it may get a jab
> >in return. This leads to an unusual foreplay ritual
> that its
> >discoverers in Germany have dubbed penis fencing.

Wow. Thats some film. I don't think I ever seen
flatworms move that fast and boy are those penises
sinister looking. It makes perfect evolutionary sense
to me though, two hermaphroditic flatworms duking it
out to see who impregnates whom. Maybe making love and
making war are not so different as one may think.

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The surest sign of intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't attempted to contact us."
-Bill Watterson