[extropy-chat] Why I am No Longer a Libertarian Either...

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Tue Jul 26 01:39:03 UTC 2005

Robert Lindauer wrote:

> Al Brooks wrote:
>
>>  I don't know the wealthy but I'm becoming convinced the situation at
>> the bottom is too complicated & intractable.
>

> If there were an undefeatable ogre who took as his tax three virgins
> per year would the fact that he was undefeatable make you not try to
> save the virgins?  If there were 100 strong men in the country
> shouldn't they grab their pitchforks?  What about when they come for
> your daughter?
>
>> The more you peer directly into it the more it appears as a result of
>> near-chaotic thinking at the bottom, and a self-perpetuating morass
>> in general
>

> Perhaps you're missing the forest for the trees.  If you look at the
> big picture it becomes relatively clear why the poor are poor and
> rich, rich - ruthless cunning and sheeplike stupidity aligning with a
> little good and bad luck.
>
>> . No exaggeration.
>> How many generations would it take to change it? 3, 4, 5?
>

> "The poor will always be with us."

It's less a question of rich v poor than of the distribution of wealth
through a society.
Japan is not a worse place to live than the US, and its wealth is spread
far more evenly across the people.
The notion that the rich make the rules and that the rules should exist
to screw the last penny out of the poor to line their own pockets is not
a system worthy of praise. What Bill Gates does is NOT worth 100,000x
that of  some guy who cleans the public toilets or carries out the trash.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org