[extropy-chat] Bioeconomics was Why I'm Not Libertarian...

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 28 03:55:09 UTC 2005

--- Peter Brooks <peterhmotta1965 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> This is a good start at explaining it. Then there is
> the high cost of litigation; citizens who hate
> everything about D.C. with a passion except the
> checks being funded from that location, and so
> forth. Notice how citizens want virtually unlimited
> growth on their terms yet also want a very clean
> environment-- which is not merely double-minded but
> also schizophrenic. It never ends.

     Precisely. Which is why I propose a merging of
memes from economics, biology, and ecology into the
new fields of bioeconomics and bioeconomic
engineering. They are designed to study and achieve
healthy biological growth of the total world economy
in the context of a sustainable life-promoting
enviroment.

     Current economic theory faces the problem in that
it focuses on unregulated, unhealthy growth, like a
tumor.What I propose, instead is a rational rationing
of natural resources in such a way that we can grow
our economy and our species in a healthy sustainable
manner to the point that we can shape our world into a
tropical paradise, instead of a toxin strewn boneyard.
All the while, maximizing personal gain for the
well-being of as many people as possible in a
meritocratic fashion.

     If we achieve sufficent growth, we may be able to
colonize other worlds. If not, we will choke to death
ourselves and our entire local food chain of
ecological niches including many other large
vertabrates.

     The environment of course will still function at
some level but what will populate the planet when it's
healed itself in a few million years is anybody's
guess. Perhaps the sentient descendents of the
cockroaches.

       We might have to triage species, but shit
happens. We have killed so many species already, it is
about the best we can do at this point, other than
archive their genomes and keep embryos in freezers.
But the rest of the world is ours to shape as we will.

     It's well-nigh time for Adam Smith's invisible
hand to grow a brain.

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The surest sign of intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't attempted to contact us."
-Bill Watterson