[extropy-chat] Why I am No Longer a Libertarian Either...

Robbie Lindauer robgobblin at aol.com
Thu Jul 28 09:44:52 UTC 2005

Awesome, thanks for correcting me.

1)  What are the sources of your statistics?
2)  How was "blue collar" and "self-made" defined for the sake of the
study?
3)  What factors -do- contribute to millionaire-ship on your account,
statistically speaking?

I'm looking for an argument of this form:

Of all American millionaires, 60% of them are blue collar (e.g. had
parents with little or no money and who weren't able to help them so
far as even a college education).
Of the people whose parents were blue collar, x% became millionaires.

And by comparison for the inheritors...

Of all american millionaires x% of them had millionaire parents.
Of all people whose parents were millionaires x% also became
millionaires.

Here's why it's important to put the matter this way.

Say 60% of the millionaires are blue-collar-born and raised and
inherited no money.  But say that 99.99% of all people are
blue-collar-born-and-raised and inherit no money.  This would actually
be a counter-condition to your argument, showing that distribution of
millionaires in the general population is much higher for those who
inherited their money (e.g. while wealthy parents make up less than
1/1000th of the population, their children make up 40% of the
millionaires, and I'll wager a much greater percentage of the
multi-millionaires and billionaires, perhaps you could enlighten us
with this statistic as well?)

Also, you say that 90% are "self-made", this may be so even if their
parents were millionaires, I assume?  I know a few in exactly this
position - their parents sent them to decent (but certainly not
A-level!) schools where they didn't manage to get good grades (and I'm
not making these guys up, I went to USC [academic scholarship and
loans, no rich parents here, sorry, hard work and discipline] with
them, I'm sure even Mr. Moore could attest to the type) and helped them
out with their first small businesses and they managed to make, by
earning it, a million dollars.  Their parents expected their money back
as an investment and got it.  One can say these people "earned" their
money or one can regard them as being extraordinarily lucky to have
wealthy relatives willing to invest in them.   For publicly known
examples, for instance, the story of Bill Gates who managed as a
college student to get a rather large loan in order to buy DOS from a
private related source.   One can say "Bill Gates earned his money" but
it doesn't mean he didn't get a leg up.

I like the drive, ambition, discipline and hard work part.  I agree
with it, you have to really WANT to be a multimillionaire to be one
because it's way too easy to stop with half a million and call things
well and good.    But you have to remember that drive, ambition and
discipline are not always directed at money.  There are plenty of
ironman competitors who have plenty of drive, ambition and discipline
and who still manage not to get wealthy over it.

I think the word you should be looking for is "greed", that is the
drive and ambition and discipline and hard work dedicated to getting
more money.

I know one "self-made-millionaire" who is certainly driven, but surely
no one would describe him as disciplined or hard working.  But again,
without a reasonable statistical argument, I have no idea whether these
are really contributing factors.

I also know a millionaire who is self-made except that his parents
funded him through harvard grad even though they weren't themselves
millionaires.  Obviously I have a lot of respect for his parents - they
loved their child so much that they decided to sacrifice their own
well-being for his potential.  I have little respect for him, however,
because of the way he made his money (an off-shore financial scam,
essentially) and for how he treats his family.  But this isn't the
point.  I didn't claim that millionaires weren't hard working, driven,
disciplined people.  I just claimed that it's likely that other factors
contribute significantly since there are lots and lots of hard-working,
driven, disciplined people.  Martin Luther King, Jr., for instance, was
hard working, disciplined and driven, just not in the direction of
millionaire-dom.

I don't hate millionaires, but neither do I want to be one preferring
to enjoy my modest life as best I can.  Your crude ad hominem just
doesn't apply.  I like to dedicate my time to other things than making
money.

Also, do you have reliable statistics on multimillionaires and
billionaires?

Robbie  Lindauer