[extropy-chat] MIT Technology Review Announces $20, 000 SENS Challenge

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 29 01:35:43 UTC 2005

--- "Eliezer S. Yudkowsky" <sentience at pobox.com>
wrote:

> A $20,000 bounty offered specifically to *disprove*
> SENS?
>
> It warms the heart to see such genuine, unbiased
> curiosity.
>
> Once again I am forcefully reminded that I live in a
> world where not even the
> ****ing rationalists have any ****ing clue how
> rationality works.

     Yes, but it is a sucker's bet. Completely
independently of Aubrey de Gray, in different
experimental and literary contexts, I had come to the
very same conclusion on the feasibilty and near
inevitably of SENS. (although I didn't call it that at
the time)
     My point being that the more independent trains
of thought that lead to the same conclusion, the more
likely that that conclusion is to be accurate. At
least that what my Bayesian-sense tells me. Do you
really think Kass, Fukiyama, and the rest of the
"learned men" would be so opposed to the idea if they
thought it WOULDN'T work?

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The surest sign of intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't attempted to contact us."
-Bill Watterson