[extropy-chat] Frozen water ice found by ESA Mars Express on Mars.

Bret Kulakovich bret at bonfireproductions.com
Sat Jul 30 15:11:58 UTC 2005

Additionally: (having gone back to review the image)

It is not unusual in space science to take your 'flat' color photos
in the visible spectrum, and use them to texture a three dimensional
model made from the topographic data made at a non-visible frequency.
So bouncing radar off the surface creates the 3d, then the image is
thrown over that model like a tablecloth.

What they are indicating about the image is that they took the 3d
data and 'stretched' it a tiny bit in the up-down axis, to make it
more dynamic. They may have then used it to 'tilt' the model to add
the perspective shown in their imagery.

]3