[extropy-chat] Freedom of mutual Consenting Cultural Activity accross National Boundaries?

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 31 21:58:35 UTC 2005

--- Adrian Tymes <wingcat at pacbell.net> wrote:

> Thing is...
>
> --- "Lifespan Pharma Inc." <megao at sasktel.net> wrote:
> > Emery's alleged
> > dealings in the U.S.
>
> ...if the guy really did travel to the US, did illegal-in-US business
> physically within US territory, then returned to Canada, then the US
> has every right to request his extradition.  Just like if someone
> went to Iran with a bunch of contraband-in-Iran sexual education
> materials,
> sold them there in violation of Iran's laws, then returned to the US.
> (Of course, the US is less cooperative with Iran than Canada is with
> the US, but that's a separate issue.)
>
> Of course, that's if he did do business physically within the US.  If
> he did business remotely (say, online) and had someone else ship the
> goods, his status is a bit murkier (although the shipper may be up on
> smuggling charges).

Ay. Akin to taxing someone sales tax for interstate or international
commerce. The distinction being that if he mailed seeds to the US from
Canada, that is international commerce and thus subject to the much
tighter customs and contraband controls (I wonder if the US will try
charging him with failure to pay tariff on agricultural products ;)
)... Its pretty clear that he admits to doing what is clearly illegal
(that it shouldn't be is a different issue). That he's in Canada
doesn't really matter, as Canada has had a treaty re extraditions for
many decades with the US which has been widely upheld by the courts of
both nations. He would have been smarter shipping them from a country
without an extradition treaty with the US.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com