[extropy-chat] Famous author self destructs in public! Film ateleven.

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sat Jun 4 22:41:24 UTC 2005

On Jun 4, 2005, at 12:33 PM, Charlie Stross wrote:
> It seems to me that the reason abortion is such a hot-button topic
> -- at least in the USA -- is that it is almost invariably
> introduced as a stalking-horse for other social agendas that are
> never explicitly dragged kicking and screaming under the spotlight.
> It then becomes impossible to express an opinion on the subject of
> abortion per se without a whole slew of additional philosophical
> and social attitudes being attributed to one.

Yep.  I keep experiencing people attributing all sorts of things to
me given my stand on the subject of abortion.  I am amazed and often
blind-sided by this so you are doubtless right.

> Can we maybe agree, as extropians one and all, that in an ideal
> world involuntary and/or unwanted conception wouldn't occur, and
> that as extropians are dedicated to the improvement of the human
> condition, figuring out how to make conception a process under
> voluntary control -- preferably wired into our neurohormonal axis
> by way of gene-line engineering -- would do more to alleviate human
> suffering than any amount of on-going gaseous blathering over
> whether humanity cuts in when the foetus reaches 10^5 cells or 10^8?

Sounds good to me.  Of course the rub is in the question of what is
allowable to simulate or correct toward the ideal goal state in the
meantime.    I think you can work backward from the goal of total
control over when a pregnancy occurs to it being permissible to end
an unwanted pregnancy that escaped one's currently imperfect
control.  Others of course disagree.

- samantha