[extropy-chat] Famous author self destructs in public! Filmateleven.

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 5 04:04:49 UTC 2005

--- Brett Paatsch <bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> Mike Lorrey wrote:
>
> > On the contrary, Samantha was implying that all women have
> > the power of life and death over their kids.
>
> I know where you are coming from, I think, and so I accept that
> you may have thought that was Samantha's implication but she
> says it wasn't and I'm inclined to take her at her word.
>
> Could she have been gentler to you? Definately, but a lot has
> been said on this topic of abortion including by you Mike. Some
> of it quite good stuff. Yet you seem to relish the raising of issues
> more than you care for the locking in off any incremental
> progress and that gets wearying sometimes.

At risk of "but she started it", I tend to weary from seeing a lack of
progress, even incremental, by Samantha. I accept her claims she didn't
mean it the way it read. I hope she appreciates the impression she made
by the way she wrote what she did.

> > Such an attitude is IMHO little different from that of a tyrant
> > deciding who lives and who dies. It is megalomaniacal. If
> > anybody needs a good smack of reality, it is Samantha.
>
> I had enjoyed discussing abortion with you but when I asked
> you if you'd checked out the Virtual Human Embryo site you
> didn't tell me.

I've been offline since yesterday, so I hadn't seen that message. I've
been trying to get some more human reality lately....

> Conversation with you can be like all rough foreplay and no
> orgasm, in that one never gets to know if you have moved your
> opinion one iota.

The only way someone can move my opinions on something is to try to
convince me how their policy opinion adheres to my principles closer
than my own policy opinion.

IMHO too much of the pro-abortion types, even those that claim to be
libertarians, tend to be of the same limited vision as bunkertarian or
nationalist libertarian types who too easily draw lines in the sand
beyond which they will not lift a finger to defend the liberty of
others. They lack the vision to see that those who blithely decide that
some people shouldn't live, given enough time to consolidate and grow
their power, will eventually turn their attention to the line drawers
who think their own position secure.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com