[extropy-chat] Fly Me to the Moon

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Sun Jun 5 14:08:39 UTC 2005

Charlie Stross wrote:

> On 5 Jun 2005, at 11:30, Dirk Bruere wrote:
>

>> Planet Earth had a greater space capability in the 1960s than it does
>> now.
>> The moon race utterly screwed the entire space program.
>> The way it should have been done was the way it was done in SF.
>> Namely, a fully reusable spaceplane followed by a space station and
>> then moon landings and onwards to Mars. The past 30yrs has been a
>> waste of time and money.
>

> Au contraire :)
>
> The past 30 years have taught us many things.
>
> 1. A spaceship needs wings and a retractable undercarriage like an
> automobile needs oars and sails.

I'd dispute that.
Almost all designs for a fully reusable spacecraft have wings.

> 2. Repeated paper studies (in search of the perfect space station
> design) cost more and deliver less than bending metal and patching
> prototypes in orbit (the Russian approach).

And also the US approach up to (around) the mid 1960s.
That's why we went from piston engined aircraft to manned orbital flight
in less than 20yrs.

> 3. Putting intelligence into probes is a lot cheaper than adding mass.
> (Note the way Galileo, despite the high-gain antenna failure, managed
> to return masses of data to Earth via the low-gain antenna at a low
> bit rate, by using new compression algorithms that simply weren't
> available when it was launched. If Galileo had been built with Pioneer
> 10 levels of smarts and launched a decade earlier, it would have been
> a failure.)

That's thanks to the semiconductor industry and would have happened anyway.

> 4. 30 years ago the "space industry" then existing was basically the
> military-industrial complex. Today, entirely commercial space
> transportation services are turning over more money than the global
> air freight business. (And you call this an "abject failure"? Put it
> another way, government funding for space could stop tomorrow, and
> we'd still have a presence to  build on.)

That's a capability that existed in the mid 1960s. Or don't satellites
get lofted by Titans anymore?
The market is comsats, weathersats and spysats.
It is not what I call a 'real' space program.

> 5. Materials technology is moving on, and if bonded fullerenes achieve
> their potential -- and there are lots of profitable intermediate steps
> on the way to getting what we *really* want -- then building a space
> elevator should be a civil engineering project on the same order of
> cost as the Channel Tunnel. At which point it will happen. Profitable
> industry #1 that really, REALLY needs a space elevator? High level
> radioactive waste disposal. (You simply can't trust it to something as
> unreliable as a rocket.)

All this would have happened without any investment in space tech at all.

> I don't call this a disaster; I call this solid progress, given that
> we're constrained by both physical laws (meaning: chemical rockets
> won't get us much more bang per buck than we've already got) and
> complexity and scaling laws (meaning: as we add complexity, we
> increase the chances of failure dramatically -- and yes, I'm talking
> about direct nuclear-thermal propulsion here).

I call it billion (trillions?) of dollars down the drain with nothing to
show for it except some old footprints in the Lunar soil.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org