[extropy-chat] Fear of flying

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 6 05:21:47 UTC 2005

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of kevinfreels.com
Sent: Sunday, June 05, 2005 8:16 PM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: [extropy-chat] Fear of flying

> I'm getting ready to leave on my second commercial flight in my life and I
am dealing with that annoying fear of flying. For the past two days I have
not been able to concentrate on much else. It's always in the back of my
head.  Yet I know very well the statistics regarding airline safety...OK. I
guess I am done with my rant. Lies, damned lies, and statistics. I know. But
since I can't shake the fear, I might as well analyze it. :-)

Kevin my father-in-law has a terrible fear of flying,
specifically that the wings would come off in turbulence.  I
launched into a big pontification on how they are stress
tested, inspected, planes never have structural failure
in flight, bla bla and yakkity yak.  About a week later
the tail fell off that French plane causing it to punch
a deep hole into the earth.  He has not flown since.