[extropy-chat] Fear of flying

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 6 15:55:07 UTC 2005

--- spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Kevin my father-in-law has a terrible fear of flying,
> specifically that the wings would come off in turbulence.  I
> launched into a big pontification on how they are stress
> tested, inspected, planes never have structural failure
> in flight, bla bla and yakkity yak.  About a week later
> the tail fell off that French plane causing it to punch
> a deep hole into the earth.  He has not flown since.

You should show him photos of air force fighters that have shorn off
their wings at the roots in midair collisions but still flown back to
base and landed.... hey, that French plane lost its rudder but still
flew back to the airport. That's a glass half full in my opinion...

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com