[extropy-chat] Fear of flying

Henrik Öhrström henrik.ohrstrom at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 23:05:32 UTC 2005

> Hi Terry,
> A solid list of experiments has determined that human babies
> (less than 1 year old - crawling stage) will not crawl - on a
> solid glass floor - out over a drop underneath that glass floor.
>
> They will however, if tempted or otherwise cajoled - agree to
> back out over the drop. But as soon as that `drop' becomes
> visible they immediately retreat to the non-drop portion of their
> environment.
>
> It seems we have a memory which says `height is dangerous' -
> especially if you're _not_ in control.
>
> cheers
>
> Ray D
>
> Thanks, Ray.  I remember seeing newsclips of this experiment.  If
> not wholly
> learned then this is a genetic memory.  I wonder if this experiment has
> included primate babies, chimps, gorillas, and orangutans?
>
> Terry

Well, these experiments are not true for all babies, both my daughters have
repeatedly tried (and sometimes succeeded in) crawling of edges of all
kinds. No permanent harm but I make sure that ALL possible jump-off points
are very well secured since these kamikaze babies has most certainly not
read those studies.
I have though and was rather surprised when they started flinging themselves
of edges...
Other children I know are more careful and one have never-ever required any
sort of gate or protection since he is very careful and have as far as I
know never fallen off anything.
Darwin days I suppose, I hope that my daredevil cuties gain something more
than just bumps and sprains from being so physically forward as they are.

/henrik