[extropy-chat] Re: LUDDISM: Help keep 'neo-luddism' wikipage up

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Tue Jun 7 23:08:32 UTC 2005

Firebug has a valid point: the page *as currently written* tends to
violate Wikipedia's purpose.

We're not going to win the fight against our enemies by sinking to
their level.  We're trying to prove their ways are wrong; we can't do
that by resorting to their ways ourselves.  Wikipedia is not our tool
first and foremost; it has rules and objectives of its own.  When we
use it, we should play by its rules - and in this case, that includes
openly acknowledging that "neo-luddite" is a label no one applies to
themselves.

Perhaps if you could update the page to detail what
exactly neo-luddites want, and the logical consequences (with labels
like "in the opinion of their detractors", to avoid making statements
of fact except where there really is logical proof).  I've added the
following text as an example:

> Those who are called neo-luddites tend to call themselves greens,
> conservatives, or other labels, but with an anti-technology focus.
> This causes friction with pro-tech greens and others, who sometimes
> cite the negative environmental consequences of neo-luddites' goals
> to challenge their right to call themselves "green".

This is all true and NPOV, as Wikipedia wants.  It also states one of
the main reasons why they are the bad guys: they say they want to help
the environment, but (as pointed out by their opponents) they actually
wind up harming it.