[extropy-chat] What % of global economic activity is dependant on military activity?

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 10 21:08:21 UTC 2005

--- "Lifespan Pharma Inc." <megao at sasktel.net> wrote:

> Dirk Bruere wrote:
> >

> > The problem is that actually deploying weapons has no economic
> > benefit whatsoever - just the reverse.

Depends on what the deployment is for. If it is just makework to bases
that are kept open for the benefit of congressmen, you are right. If it
is a deployment to an area that needs peacekeeping or protection from
hostile invasion, there is a massive economic benefit, primarily in the
form of avoided disopportunity costs (i.e. the economic devastation of
invasion and ongoing warfare). "In Irons" is a good book detailing the
economic devastation of the Revolutionary War period on the colonial
economies, which went from being the most vibrant in the world before
the war to basketcases within 5 years.

> > If, say, the military obsession was replaced by a space
> > colonisation obsession I think we would see all the benefits we
> > currently get from
> > military spending plus a 'deployment benefit' of vast magnitude.
> >
> To date the "deployment benefit"   might be justified in the creation
> of a globalization of economics and
> social structures but what I suggest is that it  should be quantified
> as to  the exact costing  of this exercise.

Space colonization would be more beneficial (unless of course colonies
fought each other, which may not be out of the question) to be sure, so
I tend to disregard as pollyannish those who disparage space programs
that are based on nationalist pride. Patriotism can be ugly, but it can
accomplish great things too.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com