[extropy-chat] what to do

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Sat Jun 11 02:30:46 UTC 2005

Robin Hanson wrote:

> Now that I have tenure, I'm tempted to spend the next few years on a new
> post-tenure project.  Since I should choose carefully, I solicit your
> advice.  No rush; it will be a month or two until I finish my current
> tasks.
>
> My goal is to make great things happen; getting personal credit can
> enable
> me to do more things later, but is otherwise not the main goal.  By
> temperament I most like to think deep thoughts, I least like to manage
> other people, and explaining things is somewhere in the middle.
>
> Here are the ten main choices as I see them now:
>
> 3. Upload Futures Papers and Book - Return to and finish my papers
> analyzing
> the social implications of future technologies, particularly uploads.
> Then
> write a book summarizing this area.  I don't know of a more important
> policy
> question, and no one else is doing this.  But it is not clear that making
> more people aware of these issues will produce better policy; future
> tech is
> usually treated symbolically, and this often makes things worse.

I suggest a more modest variant on an analysis of future tech.
Namely, the impact of populations with genetically (or otherwise)
enhanced intelligence.
Consider the book "IQ and the Wealth of Nations"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_IQ

Take it from there.
Then throw in the effects of longevity - is it a plus or minus?

It would certainly make an impact and unlike uploading, people will
relate to it almost immediately since the tech is starting to come
together right now.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-