[extropy-chat] RE: [wta-talk] RE: [Trans-Spirit] Multi personalities reveal self isfiction

mike99 mike99 at lascruces.com
Mon Jun 13 01:41:17 UTC 2005

Thanks for your reply, 1Arcturus. I especially like that you mentioned the
"noetic technology" described in John C. Wright's GOLDEN AGE trilogy, which
is some of the best science fiction of the recent decades.

The issue you raised about modeling the mind within the mind is, I think,
the heart of the matter.

In Wright's novel the protagonist, Phaethon, discovers that his memory has
been tampered with. Later, he also has reason to believe that someone may
have infected his mind with a memetic virus (like a computer virus). I have
greatly simplified the plot situation here, needless to say. What I want to
focus on is the episode in which Phaethon, reacting to the possible mental
virus infection, shuts down most of his vast, technologically-enhanced
brain-machinery, and goes into his basic mental "workspace." This is the
equivalent of operating your PC in "safe mode." Within this workspace,
Phaethon runs a system diagnostic to look for any suspicious, mental-virus
type activity.

This fictional situation raises the question: Who is operating in the
workspace? Is there some "kernel" within the brain-machinery of Phaethon
that is his essence? (I am disregarding any non-physical, soul-type
explanations here.)

Consider, now, a different science fiction example. In Greg Egan's short
story "Transitions Dreams" the reader sees the protagonist's dreams taking
place during the scanning and uploading of his consciousness to a machine
substrate. These dreams, although definitely experienced, are said to be
impossible to remember, according to a character who is almost certainly
speaking for the author, because they are artifacts of the upload process.
As artifacts, they are not included in the memory set that is being
uploaded. So although these dreams (sometimes nightmarish) are sure to
occur, they are also sure to be forgotten.

Is an experience that cannot be remembered something we should be concerned
about? Suppose the experience is terrifying, painful, and hellish? Would you
care about this in the case of others? Would you dare to endure it yourself
as part of the upload process?

I suspect that you are right, 1Arcturus, in saying that there is a "limit on
how much awareness one can have about mind processes in one's self." As with
Phaethon, we probably have some sort of core or kernel or essential mind
process set that is the bare minimum required for 'us to be us' if I may put
it that way. This kernel would still not be an irreducible entity, however;
it's not some sort of 'atomic self'. There is no irreducible self, but only
the minimum necessary set of mental processes required in order to have
human-level awareness. This level of mental operation cannot 'look at
itself' because, although aware, it is too simple to be self-reflective.
This level is already the bare minimum; if we terminated even one of the
mental processes that comprise it, awareness would cease.

My goal, as a transhumanist, is to add all the best noetic technology I can
to the brain-machinery where all mental processes reside. My kernel mental
processes can employ these enhancement tools to think faster, remember more
(and more accurately) and to experience aesthetically pleasing combinations
of thoughts and sensations that are beyond the present capacity of any human
mind to entertain. These enhancements could even provide "biofeedback"
information about mental processes within the kernel that the kernel itself
has no capacity to see unaided.

That's a long-term goal, to say the least. My present practice as a Soto Zen
priest is to become more aware of the bare attention that *is* the kernel
mental state, totally shorn of the many layers of distractive mental
processes we ordinarily experience. I can observe those other layers float
by, but I cannot see the one (i.e., the mental processes) who observes them.

Regards,

Michael LaTorra

mike99 at lascruces.com
mlatorra at nmsu.edu

"For any man to abdicate an interest in science is to walk with open eyes
towards slavery."
-- Jacob Bronowski

"Experiences only look special from the inside of the system."
-- Eugen Leitl

Member:
Board of Directors, World Transhumanist Association: www.transhumanism.org
Board of Directors, Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies:
http://ieet.org/
Extropy Institute: www.extropy.org
Alcor Life Extension Foundation: www.alcor.org
Society for Universal Immortalism: www.universalimmortalism.org
President, Zen Center of Las Cruces: www.zencenteroflascruces.org

======= ORIGINAL MESSAGE REPLY ==========

The most fascinating opportunities for research on human consciousness
appear at those moments of transition between states. Two such moments, for
example, are mentioned in Syed's article below:

(1) when the person suffering from Dissociative Identity Disorder is
switching between alter personalities (or "selves")
     and there is a moment of "vacancy"
(2) when the person in Benjamin Libet's experiment on voluntary action
exhibits the brain activity that begins about half
     a second before the person is aware of deciding to act

Here's the research question: Can we learn to maintain conscious awareness
at a deep enough level such that we can observe ourselves going through
processes (1) and (2) listed above?

This question can be recast into two specific questions about the research
discussed in Syed's article:

- Can the mind of a person suffering from DID learn to see what is happening
during the personality switch between alters?
= Can the mind of a person who is about to take an action observe the source
of decision that **actually** chooses that action?

These are questions about our own degree of awareness. According to the
spiritual traditions, individuals who are "Enlightened" or "Realized" etc.
can observe themselves at such a deep level. But are these traditions
correct? Is such a degree of awareness truly possible? Or is this just
another instance of imagining fantastic possibilities that are not now, and
never have been, possible for human beings?

Even if such deep awareness had never been possible before, will technology
someday make it possible? Libet's experimental apparatus might be turned
into a biofeedback system, for instance. Could it then be used as a tool for
training ourselves to become more aware of the source of our own action?
Might we then become conscious of that source, become one with it, and be
able to act more quickly and authentically? And would that even be a good
thing? (Fans of the super-ego, please take note!)

Regards,

Michael LaTorra