[extropy-chat] IQ vs Uploads (was: what to do)

giorgio gaviraghi giogavir at yahoo.it
Mon Jun 13 19:33:37 UTC 2005

the entire paragraph is based in one important fact:
We are assuming that AIs are smarted than humans
without such assumption we have a Hal like 2001
situation where at the end the human is still in
control
But if we assume that they are smarter, then how can
we believe that they will allow to be made ineffective
and practically killed  by the first human who will
unplug them?
Being smarter means that they not only can think like
we do, but actually better than we do, have more
memory, knowledge, strategical mind and whatever else
goes with that.
The first thing that they would learn is how to
survive and will avoid to be eliminated by a simple
command.
By the way if we can apply Moore's law to the post
singularity in about a generation from that moment ,
30 human years, AI can be 1000 times more intelligent
than current humans.
Te real problem will not be how to control them or
stop their growing intelligence but how can we, as
humans, upgrade our mind at the same pace or even
faster.
If we want to stay in control that's the only
alternative.
Nothing of the above have anything to do with Luddism,
I welcome the AI s and their potential contribution to
our society as long as we have the means to use them
and not being dominated by them.