[extropy-chat] Insect AI (was Wetware vs. Hardware)

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 15 22:17:19 UTC 2005

--- Adrian Tymes <wingcat at pacbell.net> wrote:

> --- Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > There was a mower-bot design in Popular Mechanics or Popular
> Science
> > in
> > the early 90's which used a weed whacker head powered by an
> electric
> > moter, guided by off the shelf parts: pc board, leds and
> > photosensors,
> > etc. which could find the edge of a lawn, mow along it and follow
> the
> > edge of its own previous path to mow the lawn in a conventional
> > spiral
> > or back and forth pattern, avoiding obstacles, etc.
>
> Hmm.  If it was available from kit, I wonder why no one's made a
> business out of pre-assembling & selling them?  Too expensive, or is
> there some hidden performance flaw?

Investors generally shy away from investing in manufacturing anything
which is public domain. However, Husqvarna does offer at robot mower:

http://www.gizmag.com/go/1275/
one problem is the price of over $3,000 is extremely expensive compared
to push mowers for a few hundred bucks or riding lawn mowers for
$800-$1,500.
Here is the owners manual for the solar powered model:
http://weborder.husqvarna.com/order_static/doc/HOEN/HOEN2002/HOEN2002_1140043-26.pdf
(try downloading it first, as their server seems to have problems
triggering a browser display of the pdf) Finding this on their site is
very tough and it appears that it is either not a main line product or
is discontinued.

Dyson has a robot vacuum cleaner, btw:
http://www.gizmag.com/go/1282/

Mike Lorrey