[extropy-chat] Timescale to Singularity

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 19:38:07 UTC 2005

On 6/16/05, Marc Geddes <marc_geddes at yahoo.co.nz> wrote:
> "I swear by the shelters of the stars (a mighty oath, if you but knew it)...
> I shall fight to eliminate aging and death before 2030 with every my fiber
> of my being...
> By 2030 either the Singularity will come or I will perish trying'

A noble sentiment, but I'm not sure 2030 is realistic; my guess, for
what it's worth, is that mid to late 21st century is more plausible
than early. Only time will tell, of course, but remember it's a
marathon, not a sprint: if 2030 comes around and the world's problems
are still with us, that does not necessarily mean we have failed to
solve them - only that we have not done so _yet_.

- Russell