[extropy-chat] Code 46

Bryan Moss bryan.moss at dsl.pipex.com
Sat Jun 18 23:21:35 UTC 2005

Robin Hanson wrote:

> I just watched the DVD of "Code 46", a movie that was released almost
> a year ago, and found it to be one of the most thoughtful science
> fiction movies I've seen in a long time.  Was it discussed on this list?

I don't recall any discussion.  Although I had some problems with the
film it did have some interesting ideas.  **SPOILERS**  I thought the
behavioural modification through gene therapy was particularly well
realised.  Both the "empathy virus" and the engineered aversion to
sexual contact seem quite plausible.  However, I'm not quite sure why,
in a world where I imagine they would be able to cure most hereditary
diseases, they'd need to take such extreme precautions against "Code 46"
violations.  (Perhaps I missed something.)  That said, the separate
issues of using memory alteration and behavioural reprogramming in
response to "crimes" and the perplexities of living in a world where
reproductive technology is apparently so prevalent that
genetic-similarity has become culturally meaningless were worth exploring.

BM