Iraq and legality again Re: [extropy-chat] Professor Being Sued OverAnti-Agi

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 22 19:07:39 UTC 2005

Here is another school of thought: The UN Charter authorizes use of
force internationally for two main reasons:
a) if a country is attacked it can fight back, or can help another
defend itself against attack (i.e. first Gulf War, plus Saddam's hit
squad against 41)
b) a security council resolution stating dire consequences if a UN
member nation fails to obey the resolution, and the nation doesn't. In
this case, Iraq violated both the Coalition Cease Fire Agreement for
the first gulf war (which was UN authorized) AND some 18 later Security
Council resolutions. The US has been authorized to use force since the
first time Iraq violated the cease fire agreement, it is just that some
nations with profit motive didn't want to acknowledge it.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com