[extropy-chat] Treaties ratified by the US Senate (was Re: Iraq and legality again)

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jun 25 02:35:52 UTC 2005

Mike Lorrey wrote:

> You don't get it: treaties that are ratified by the US Senate are US
> law.

I'm almost inclined to exclaim "Very Good Mike Lorrey". This is my
understanding too. I certainly think that such stands to reason. However
I am not a lawyer, nor am I a US citizen, though I am interested in the
US and in its law and in its welfare.

Can you please show me, if you are able and I do think you are, and
perhaps this will help you show some of your developing skills with
marshalling a legal arguments concisely, how it is that you have
concluded that "treaties that ate ratified by the US Senate are US law."

Please do feel free to cite with cross referenced links, the appropriate
parts of the US constitution. You may or may not cite cases in support
of your argument but if you do cite them please be able to provide
links to them.

I will not feel patronised if you make your case in such a way that even
a child could understand it, but if you make you case, if you communicate
in such a way, that even men and women of goodwill reading this list can
understand it then I think that would be excellent, I think that would be
a great service. You would have articulated an important and shining
truth, and a truth on which we could then build.

Regards,
Brett Paatsch