[extropy-chat] Nanoparticles linked to chronic lung diseases

Alfio Puglisi puglisi at arcetri.astro.it
Sat Jun 25 10:35:55 UTC 2005

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005, The Avantguardian wrote:

>I just attended a great talk by one of the professors
>here at UCLA regarding the dangers of nanometer scale
>air pollutants such as diesel carbon ash on the order
>of 10-100 nm.
>[...]
>they will require something else to deal with. In the
>home, I would suggest one of those Ionic Breeze air
>scrubbers. For the outdoors, I am not sure what would
>work. Maybe military style gas masks or some kind of
>not yet invented ion trap type air breather-mask.

Don't know the situation in the US, but here in Europe diesel fuel is on
the rise (and of higher quality than in the states, so possibly less
polluting), and there are recent European directives for member states
about PM10 pollutants, which as far as I understand means particles under
10 microns.

Of course my city, and many others, are WAY over the suggested limit and a
new generation of diesel engines (or actually, exaust systems with
catalizers and son on) will probably be required before limits can be met.

No military-type gas masks yet.

Alfio