[extropy-chat] [Civil] NH development company seeks eminent domain on Souters residence.

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 29 19:24:54 UTC 2005

http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050629/REPOSITORY/506290321/1001/NEWS01

The story is now on the AP, the Boston Globe, Drudge Report, etc. We
are encouraging groups around the country to create similar projects
for the properties of the other four justices who voted for the
majority opinion in this case: Stevens (IL), Breyer (MA), Ginsberg
(NY), and Kennedy (CA). They also have residences in the DC/VA/MD area
as well.

It has likely not been since the Amistad, Dred Scott, and other slavery
related cases that Supreme Court justices have faced such personal
consequences for their rulings. In the Amistad case, 5 of seven
justices were slave owners. Today, all nine are property owners, five
of which voted with the majority opinion in the case of Melo v City of
New London, CT (2005). It is unknown if any mid-19th Century supreme
court justices saw any of their slaves escape via Harriet Tubman's
Underground Railroad.

It is clear, though, that holding these justices to their own standard
is generating significant irony.

--- Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Actually, it is a project I and Ed Naile, of the Coalition of New
> Hampshire Taxpayers, have been working on.... Good to see its getting
> coverage.
>
> --- Bret Kulakovich <bret at bonfireproductions.com> wrote:
>

> > Since so much of our list talks about individual rights and
> freedoms
> > (or, lack thereof), I thought many of you might enjoy this news.
> > A private developer in New Hampshire is approaching the Weare, NH
> > Board of Selectmen seeking the property at  34 Cilley Hill Road,
> the
> > residence of Justice Souter, to develop a hotel complex.
> >
> > It does not appear to be a hoax.
> >
> > http://www.freenation.tv/hotellostliberty2.html
>
> We are mulling a theme park that will have rides such as "The Black
> Hole: Your taxes at work", and "The Slippery Slope: Bill of Rights
> Erosion". The hotel will be built like a concentration camp or a
> slave
> ship/slave quarters and will serve gruel in the restaurant...
>
> Mike Lorrey
> Vice-Chair, 2nd District, Libertarian Party of NH
> "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
> It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
>                                       -William Pitt (1759-1806)
> Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com

Mike Lorrey