[extropy-chat] Re: Meta: Too far [Operation Just Cause: Panama]

Terry W. Colvin fortean1 at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 30 00:43:06 UTC 2005

Damien Broderick wrote:

> At 07:00 PM 6/29/2005 -0400, Joseph wrote:
>
>> I think there is a WORLD of difference between forcing unarmed
>> Communist party officials to dig their own graves for summary
>> execution in 1943, and US Marines firing at Iraqi soldiers who are
>> armed with machine guns, tanks, and RPGs (or terrorists armed with
>> machine guns, suicide bomb-vests, and RPGs). And if any of my
>> European (or any other, for that matter) friends cannot see that
>> distinction, then I mourn for the loss of any sort of substantive
>> communication between us.
>

> The topic was Panama, not Iraq, and the deaths of thousands of
> civilians on a pitiful pretext that Stuart says he knew was bullshit
> before he left. (Note that I am NOT accusing Stuart himself of
> dishonorable conduct.)

< http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/just_cause.htm >

Between 200-500 civilian deaths were estimated with the high figure coming
from the United Nations.

I served in Panama from 1981 to 1984 at SSO Panama.

The Panama Canal is less vital than in past decades but still important
to world
trade.  The anarchists and do-nothing idealists would have us do nothing.
What maroons!

Terry

--
"Only a zit on the wart on the heinie of progress." Copyright 1992, Frank Rice

Terry W. Colvin, Sierra Vista, Arizona (USA) < fortean1 at mindspring.com >
     Alternate: < fortean1 at msn.com >
Home Page: < http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/8958/index.html >
Sites: * Fortean Times * Mystic's Haven * TLCB *
      U.S. Message Text Formatting (USMTF) Program