[extropy-chat] Re: Meta: Too far

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Thu Jun 30 02:24:00 UTC 2005

Avantguardian wrote:
> Actually there are divisions of the U.S. military like
> 82nd airborne and, in my case, the now defunct 7th
> light infantry division that have rotating rosters of
> high alert readiness at all times.

Well I'll be damned.  Who would have thought there was more than one
former Lightfighter on this list (yeah, me too many moons ago).  I
remember an unofficial survey on the extropians list many years ago of
how many on the list were ex-military and they came out of the woodwork.
 There were a lot of geeks and proto-extropians in the military when I
was in -- it is not a cadre of ill-educated hicks as is a popular notion.

I'll just confirm what Avantguardian stated.  The US military can put
about 50,000 soldiers anywhere in the world at the drop of a hat, with
not insignificant theater support.  It might have been more in Reagan's
time.  For a third-rate banana republic like Panama, that is more than
enough to do the job.

cheers,

j. andrew rogers