[extropy-chat] Nanofoods

nvitamore at austin.rr.com nvitamore at austin.rr.com
Thu Jun 30 19:19:37 UTC 2005

From: Seena Sharp

NANOFOOD ON THE HORIZON
       Researchers at the Netherlands' Wageningen University are working on
food processing techniques that incorporate nanotechnology in a new field
dubbed nanofood. A major part of the task, of course, is selling it to the
public, says Frans Kampers, program manager of bio-nanotechnology at
Wageningen. "Consumer acceptance and how they view nanotechnology in food
really needs attention. We do not want to end up in the GMO (genetically
modified organisms) situation. We have to be honest and truthful so that
the consumer can balance the risks and the benefits of nanofoods." Kampers
envisions using nanotechnology in two ways during the food production
process -- on the processing line, where tiny sensors and diagnostic
machines could detect harmful microbes and establish a more accurate
shelflife for products, and as a means of creating food that can carry
medicines and nutritional supplements via tiny edible capsules, or
nanoparticles, to targeted spots in the body. And while the first
application likely won't run into too much trouble, Kampers worries about
consumer backlash against tinkering with the food supply. The nanoparticles
that would be added to food include both "soft particles" -- those using
common biological materials -- and "hard particles" made up of non-organic
substances, such as silicon or ceramics, or materials that react with the
body's heat or chemistry, such as polymers. And while the idea is still
percolating in the lab, Kampers hopes to raise awareness of the
possibilities among corporate food giants such as General Mills and Nestle.
"The food industry is on average reluctant to adopt new technologies. We
would like to show them what the possibilities are and what academia is
working on and see if this triggers something. We would like to communicate
that we are ready to help them." (Food Production Daily 17 Jun 2005)
<http://www.foodproductiondaily.com/news/ng.asp?id=60733>