[extropy-chat] Spam is good?!

Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net
Wed Mar 2 03:53:01 UTC 2005

I just thought of a way to take advantage of current spam environment.

Currently everyone simply lives with spam. it's a nuisance, and everyone
from government to individuals
claims that it is a "bad thing" but we tolerate it.

Let's look at spam differently: it adds a large amount of "noise" to the
communications system.

Noise is a very interesting phenomenon. We can use it to our advantage.
In particular, we can use
noise to hide a signal. For example, if we want to send (say) copies of
movies or music files, we can
convert this information into "spam" e-mails and send it with impunity.

If I break a movie into multiple pieces and encode the pieces into
messages that look like spam e-mails,
I can then send those pieces to everyone. If I first randomly distribute
those pieces across a set of zombies,
and then have the zombies send to everyone, it becomes virtually
impossible for an investigator
to find the originator.

Why should I implement such a system?
   Well, if I implement the system and it works, then I succeed in
circumventing the RIAA and MPAA, and
all of my friends get all the free movies and videos they deserve.

The only way the MPAA and RIAA can suppress this scheme is to suppress
the delivery of spam via zombies.
This is of course "easy" do do. All ISPs could aggressively identify and
suppress zombies, given an appropriate incentive.

This means that I win. Either I can freely distribute movies and music,
or the ISPs begin to aggressively suppress
spam zombies. Either way, I win.

Why is this Extropian? well, music and movies are not the only
information that we may need to desimminate
(assuming the spam channel remains open.) Going the other way, If this
threat causes the incumbent
powers to kill zombies. we free up the bandwidth that we currently yield
to spam. We can use this bandwidth
for our own purposes.