[extropy-chat] Computer Bacteria; Techyon Radiation and Computers

Terry W. Colvin fortean1 at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 3 02:57:45 UTC 2005

Forwarding permission was given by William R. Corliss.

Science Frontiers, No. 158, Mar-Apr, 2005, p. 3
< http://www.science-frontiers.com >

UNCLASSIFIED

#1 of 2 items

Computer Bacteria

We are all familiar with computer viruses but computer bacteria may also be
hazardous.  Bacteria have sophisticated, code-based programs and excel at
penetrating formidable firewalls.  Worse yet, they are everywhere.

*Fact #1*.  Number of bacteria per square inch on the average toilet seat: 49.

*Fact #2*.  Number of bacteria per square inch on the average computer
keyboard: 3,295.

(Grossman, Wendy M.; "Skeptical Stats," *The Skeptic*, 17:12, Winter 2004.)

#2 of 2 items

Techyon Radiation and Computers

>From the "Feedback" page of *New Scientist*:

   Our mention of the phenomenon whereby appliances work perfectly
   in the presence of, but only in the presence of a repair
   technician produced dozens of responses.  Glyn Williams of
   Derby, U.K., notes that in work environments this depends
   on the presence of "techies".  With colleagues he concluded that
   the effect, whatever it is, is mediated by particles which must
   be "techyons".

M. Bastian, a techie, has noticed a distance effect associated with the
phenomenon.  He asserts:

   The further I walk across our campus to fix a fault, the more
   likely it is that the problem will resolve itself before I enter
   the room.

This is now called: "the technician proximity syndrome."

(Anonymous; "Feedback," *New Scientist*, p. 64, January 15, 2005)

[Science Frontiers is a bimonthly collection of digests of scientific
anomalies in the current literature.  Published by the Sourcebook Project,
P.O. Box 107, Glen Arm, MD 21057.  Annual subscription: $8.00.]

--
"Only a zit on the wart on the heinie of progress." Copyright 1992, Frank Rice

Terry W. Colvin, Sierra Vista, Arizona (USA) < fortean1 at mindspring.com >
     Alternate: < fortean1 at msn.com >
Home Page: < http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/8958/index.html >
Sites: * Fortean Times * Mystic's Haven * TLCB *
      U.S. Message Text Formatting (USMTF) Program