[extropy-chat] Atheism in Decline: meme map

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Fri Mar 4 17:53:05 UTC 2005

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Mike Lorrey
> Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] Atheism in Decline
>

> --- "kevinfreels.com" <kevin at kevinfreels.com> wrote:>
> > Religion changes over time. Which religion would be the easiest to
> > change to something more transhumanistic?...

I have an idea.  We often think of science and technology
as almost the same thing, or very similar.  They certainly
form a symbiotic relationship.  For a thought experiment,
let us try to separate the two, then make a meme map with
technology on the horizontal axis and science on the
vertical.  The upper right quadrant would be advanced in
science and advanced in technology, where I want to be.
Clearly much of this hungry planet is in the lower left
quadrant, but perhaps we can find transhuman allies in
the upper left and lower right quadrants.

Who are these?

I would propose that SDA is in that lower right quadrant,
for they often distrust science, but advanced technology
is gooood stuff, especially if it in any way increases
health or lifespan.  Of those religions that may be
transhumanist allies, I expect we might find them
generally in the lower right quadrant.

Who fits into the upper left quadrant?  Would the Greens
go there?  Are there any transhuman allies in that square?
Or shall we keep looking in the lower right?