[extropy-chat] up with sociopathology

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Sat Mar 5 17:05:05 UTC 2005

Ned Late wrote:

>Nothing wrong with being with others, having many
>friends, sharing love & laughter. But better still to
>be alone, as familiarity doesn't breed contempt,
>familiarity IS contempt, and the very last thing in
>the cosmos i'd like to do would be to have a family,
>it comes down to the concept of self ownership;

Relatively few of us have experienced growing up in a healthy supportive family and fewer still have grown further having a supportive mentor and growth role in business or other form of organization.  Within such a framework, initial dependence grows into independence and then matures into cooperative interdependence.

No man is an island, and one's opportunities are enhanced within a system that values and rewards individuals for their strengths and diversity, while at larger scales synergetic benefits keep the process going.

I'm not expressing naive idealism here, but that cooperative advantage is intrinsic to the way the universe works, and that isolationism is shortsighted.

- Jef
http://www.jefallbright.net