[extropy-chat] Atheism in Decline

Olga Bourlin fauxever at sprynet.com
Sat Mar 5 17:28:17 UTC 2005

From: "Mike Lorrey" <mlorrey at yahoo.com>

> Quite so. Does Joseph claim that calling Genesis a metaphor is an
> atheistic doctrine?

... oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, there are so many creation myths (some much
more interesting than Genesis), and so little time.

 Such would be calling most of christianity
> atheists. Most christian sects state that you can only know god through
> metaphor and analogy, because to look it in the face would kill you
> (whether this means automatic uploading is an open question).

Practically speaking, it's not just christians -- but *all religious people
are atheists* (because - like it or not - they are "without god(s))".
Atheism is not an option.  Believing in a god does not make it so.

> Those believing in the literal word of the bible also tend to buy the
> Charlton Heston character in the clouds infantile image of god.

Unfortunately, many, many people do.  And in a book I read in the 1980s
called "Dumbth" (by Steve Allen ... yes, that Steve Allen), it starts out by
relating how some of those many adult people used to send Morris the Cat
(yes, that Morris the Cat) fan letters. Etcetera.  Scary stuff.

> Josephs statements here imply to me another confirmation of what I see
> so commonly: most atheists suffer from stunted theology and a lack of
> sophisticated spiritual education, at least under whatever organized
> religion they were raised in (or lack thereof)

If I only knew what you meant by "stunted theology" and "lack of
sophisticated spiritual education," I would comment.  But I'm not certain
what you mean by those terms.

Olga