[extropy-chat] Atheism in Decline

Jeff Medina analyticphilosophy at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 23:24:39 UTC 2005

Mike Lorrey said:
> You are wrong in both parts. It isn't "my" religion, because,
> [emphasis added] IT ISNT "MY" RELIGION

Oh dear. Would you care to point out where, in ANYTHING I wrote, I
referred to "your religion"? Just take a moment. Careful study and all
that. You apparently have NO IDEA what I just wrote, even though you
quoted me, as you replied to a position I NOWHERE STATED.

Mike Lorrey said:
> Secondly, I didn't say that "all" christianity is metaphorical, so once
> again your reading comprehension is suffering.

Again, point out exactly where I said *THAT YOU SAID THAT ALL
CHRISTIANITY IS METAPHORICAL*. I didn't. So both of your two retorts
are directed at THINGS I DIDNT SAY. I'll help: here's what I *did*
say:

"Joseph did not claim that calling one particular belief in your
religion (e.g., Genesis) metaphorical makes you an atheist. Not even
close. But if you believe that *all* of Christianity is metaphorical,
then you are not a Christian."

Now, nowhere did you claim to be a Christian. I do not think you are
one. So, given the context, someone with a 6th grade reading level
would understand that this was a general claim, not one directed at
Mike's Personal Christian Beliefs. But, by all means, I'll rephrase in
hopes that you will have to make even less effort to understand what
people are saying. "But if a person believes that *all* of
Christianity is metaphorical, then that person is not a Christian."

As far as your comment about Judaic theology goes:
I specifically made reference to the majority usage of the term
"religion" -- pointing out a minority example (the Jews, one of whom
you're speaking to, in terms of blood and upbringing if not belief)
that contradicts my usage does not contradict my *majority-based*
claim.

Mike Lorrey said:
> Presuming a majority usage is a bit presumptious.

Over 30% of the world's population is Christian and another 30% is
Muslim. That's at least 60%+ *most of whom* would call a fully
"metaphorical" religionist a brand of atheism. (Yes, I know there are
liberal variants of these religions that would disagree. But unless
you think 20%+ of Christians & Muslims are of this rather liberal
sort, 50% is still an *easy* minimum for me to meet.)

So, no, it isn't presumptious of me. It's justified based on the
facts, most of which you clearly are unfamiliar with or familiar with
but incapable of properly applying.