[extropy-chat] The use of intelligence

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Sun Mar 6 16:53:35 UTC 2005

As most of you know, I have been engaged for years with the slowly
successful grinding down of the scientology cult.

It has been an experience that led me deep into evolutionary psychology.

One of the things which has impressed me is how people develop and maintain
strong beliefs that completely negate logical thinking.

It is fairly amazing to see a fellow human using a fair amount of smarts
trying to defend the undefendable.  The particular example is a
scientologists who goes by "SunSurfer" <therealmsoftime.net> on usenet.

There are several similar threads where this person doggedly defends silly
scientology practices.  This might be of meta interest here because we who
try for a technologically advanced future will have to contend with this
kind of person sooner or later.  (Unless we can manage to leave it all
behind at 0.5 c.)

Keith Henson

http://www.google.ca/groups?selm=112ka3rfqc98248%40corp.supernews.com&output=gplain